Monday, August 25, 2008

Gambling in the workplace?

This last Friday we had a big division wide party here at work. The directors have finally realized that moral amongst their employee's is a little low and so they are pushing for a new "fun" atmosphere because they want to "make this place addictive". I have to admit that it was pretty fun to get off 3 hours early to party but I'm pretty sure that no matter how many parties they throw I will not be addicted to my job. I can give a good report on the party though. There are probably around 250-300 people in my division and at 3:00 we were all given wrist bands, a raffle ticket, and $500 in paper money and were sent down to the cafeteria area. There they had set up several tables for things like blackjack, craps, poker, you know, the popular casino games. They had even hired professional dealers to run the tables. I think most of them were professionals from back in the day though as most of them were over 70. Actually, maybe they just cleaned out the nearby nursing home. Anyways, you then had a choice to either play your $500 at the tables or cash it in for more raffle tickets. The idea was to get as many raffle tickets as you could so you could win prizes at the end. Not knowing anything about gambling and being a boring person I opted out of playing my money and got my tickets right away. They actually had some pretty good prizes. They had a 32" plasma TV, an HP notebook, 7 I-Pods, and various other electronic devises. There were probably like 30 prizes in all plus they were raffling off Staple's gift cards randomly on a separate raffle. On top of all of that they had karaoke and free food. Even though I wasn't playing and wasn't about to get up and karaoke my dignity away it was fun observing and I was very grateful to be out of work. It was a little long but you had to stay to the end for the raffle because you wouldn't get your prize if you weren't there. I'm sad to say I did not win anything. My carpool buddy won the Aerosmith addition of Guitar Hero though. Good for her. Thanks for the party UOP. Let's do one this Friday too. The end.

3 comments:

Ginger said...

That stinks you didn't win anything. It always seems like the people that only has a few raffle tickets wins the big prizes!

Heather said...

of course after I leave they decide to have a big party. Sounds like tons of fun though. At least they are trying.

Terina said...

That sounds like a blast!!!