Tuesday, February 23, 2010

A ripe old age

So it appears that I'll be headed home this week. My grandpa passed away on Saturday at the age of 95. You know, although it's a very sad thing to lose a loved one I honestly feel that he is in a much better place. He has been sick for a long time now and really out of it and has been sleeping most of his days away. It's so reassuring to me to know that my grandpa is happy now and that we will all see him again and see him like we used to see him, with a spring in his step and probably with a tootsie pop in his hand! The saddest part to me is that my grandma now has to be without him. 70+ years of marriage is a long time. I just hope she doesn't get too lonely and sad.
The funeral is Saturday. I was looking up plane tickets and the best I could find was $414. Gross. So I debated for awhile on driving by myself and then JR and I debated on whether or not he could afford to take time off work and school to come and drive with me. We finally decided that I'd just bite the bullet and spend the money on the ticket. I got on last night to make the purchase and of course it had gone up to $454. Barf. So through a spark of divine revelation JR offers "why don't you try to name your price on priceline?" And I did. And it was good. I got the exact same flight for $138 dollars cheaper and ended up paying $318. Thank you priceline negotiator! I'll never forget your kindness.
So I'm headed home on Thursday and am happy to see my family and to celebrate my grandpa's life.

2 comments:

Travis and Britni said...

I'm so glad you were able to get your flight cheaper. I'm sorry to hear about your grandpa. You're handling it very well i think:) I'm glad you get to see your family and spend time reflecting on your grandpa. Be safe.

Sara said...

I'm glad you got a cheaper flight! Aren't airline tickets ridiculous?? Jeremy wasn't able to make it home for either of his great-grandparents' funerals because the timing wasn't great and they were SUCH expensive tickets. :( It's sad to lose people that have been part of our life for all of our life!

P.S. I posted a scrapbook page I did of your reception (from way back when) - if you want to see it it's at ctrsarascrap.blogspot.com