The trip home was not so smooth. I was supposed to fly out at 9:15am from Fresno, lay over in LA, and on to Prescott. Fog delayed my flight though and it became apparent that I would not be making my connecting flight. When I was told that there was no way I was getting home that day and I'd have to wait until the next day I became a little emotional and the poor American Eagle Airline lady felt pretty bad when I explained I was going to miss my grandpa's funeral. She was able to bend the rules a bit and book me on another airline with a direct flight to Phoenix instead. 5 hours in the Fresno airport was pretty uneventful. Upon arriving in Phoenix I then had to find a shuttle to take to Prescott. I remember shuttles being really horrible but this one was not bad. I finally made it to Prescott! Thank heavens for that nice lady for making an exception for me.
The funeral was really nice. My dad gave a great life history of my grandpa and I learned some really cool things about him that I never knew. He lead quite a life. He told a story about how when my grandpa went to college he literally had 5 cents to his name and flipped that very 5 cents to decide whether he should buy a donut because he was hungry or spend it on a bus so he wouldn't have to walk the rest of the way into town. Upon flipping the coin in dropped it into a drain on the street so he had to go hungry and walk! Ah gramps!
It was a good trip home. I'm sure going to miss this bunch of crazies.



5 comments:
How sweet! I'm so glad that lady made an exception and you were able to make it home.
That is how it was when we went to my grandma's funeral. It was a nice way to celebrate her life and get everyone together. I am glad you made it there.
That's good you were able to make it there. Sorry about your Grandpa. My Grandma passed last fall and I saw relatives I haven't seen since I was a kid, so it definitely was like a family reunion. Isn't it neat to hear stories about your grandparents?!
I'm glad you made it. That story about the coing and your grandpa cracked me up. Poor guy! How nice for your family to be together to celebrate his life.
Post a Comment