Monday, May 10, 2010

Courting

JR and I recently had a nice little conversation about how it's important to "court" each other even after marriage. We spend a lot of time together doing a lot of nothing and we've really gotten away from planned dates so most of our nights consist of conversations such as "So, what do you want to do tonight?" "I don't know, do you have any ideas?" "No". And so the circle continues. I started thinking about the thrill of dating and the fun things we would do. I don't want to be a couple who lets the spark disapear and since you have to work on relationships that means you have to put forth a little effort. So we've re-instituted formal date night. We will alternate who plans each week. I started it off this week and we went and saw Iron Man 2 and then to Coldstone for a little funnel cake sundae. JR and I had funnel cake at Sea World awhile back and he really liked it so when I saw Coldstone had it I figured that might be a nice surprise. Anyways, it was a simple date but it felt good to have something planned with an agenda and a set time. I'm looking forward to formal date night from here on out. If anyone has any ideas for fun cheap dates please, share!

3 comments:

Kari said...

Date night is so awesome. We have been working hard for the past year to do it every Friday, and since I hate going to the movies, we have had to get pretty creative. So here are a few ideas from us. Picnic in the park, rock climbing, painting pottery, trying a NEW restaurant, rent a row boat on a lake, go-karts, bowling, mini golf, occasionally just shopping without the kids. A great idea is to buy an Entertainment coupon book and just go through it. It has coupons to museums (children's and science rock), and to restaurants as well (encourages you to try new places). the best part is, you save a ton of money this way.

Mary said...

We sometimes go to the dollar theater or the nickelcade. In the summertime there are tons of things. We like to go have a campfire in the canyon, bike rides, dutch oven, bbq, drive in movie etc.

Ginger said...

You need to look up some unusual things to see around your area. We love doing those kind of things. You can look on roadsideamerica.com and I am sure there will be plenty of weird free things to go and check out.