Wednesday, October 15, 2008

School of the day

Good news, JR's grad school list is down to 27! The school of the day is Ithaca College located in Ithaca New York.
Ithaca is about 4 hours away from New York City and 2 hours from Palmyra. Population is about 29,000. What do I think of Ithaca? It looks very beautiful.






I was a little concerned when I read the following excerpt on Wikipedia:
"In its earliest years during frontier days, what is now Ithaca was briefly known by the names "The Flats" and "Sodom," the name of the Biblical city of sin, due to its reputation as a town of "notorious immorality", because of its reputation as a place of horse racing, gambling, profanity, Sabbath breaking, and readily available liquor...That early reputation for immorality, together with its more recent reputation as having a left-leaning population, has once again made Ithaca mildly infamous in some circles as the "City of Evil," due to a satirical campaign by members of a politically conservative online discussion board. Some Ithacans have embraced the label. This idea is further buoyed by Cornell University's early nickname, "the godless university" which came about due to their lack of affiliation with any organized religion."
Hmmm...when I brought this up to JR his response was "Perhaps we are called to serve there as phenomenal ward missionaries, thrashing that nation by the power of God's Spirit!" The man may have a point. I guess I shouldn't judge Ithaca. I like the idea of living in New York much more than anywhere in the Mid West.
As stated before though, still 27 schools to sort through. Some day we'll figure it out. By the way 10 days and counting until JR takes the GRE. Yikes!

1 comment:

Nikki and Edward Moure said...

Haha, what a school! Well, it sounds like there is lots of work to be done in the town if you want to save it from burning! Just remember every time you leave the town not to look back or you might just turn into a pillar of salt. :) j/k. It really does look beautiful though!!