Monday, June 23, 2008

No more please

Let me tell you a story about the worst pest in the whole world. While JR and I were dating his roommates came down with a case of the bed bugs. Yes, they are real and not just a night time chant. Well of course these lovely bugs spread to the rest of the apartment and soon were carried to mine. Can I just say that I HATE them? No really, I actually hate bed bugs. I had them in my home for about 3 months before my landlord finally got the house sprayed. This was about a month before JR and I got married. I was overjoyed when the bites stopped and figured I was finally free of these horrible horrible creatures. I would wake up with about 3-4 bites just about every day and they would welt up and itch like no other and scar. Well when JR and I got married and moved in together I was insistent that he go through every thing he had to make sure he did not bring them to our new house. His house did get sprayed as well right before we moved in. He really did a great job of sorting through everything but alas somehow these bugs endured and we discovered one on our wall a couple months ago. I literally cried when I saw it. I would like to note that bed bugs do not come from being dirty, JR and I are actually very clean people but were unfortunate to have them transported through a 3rd party and have lived with the effects ever since. The problem with all of this is that it costs an arm and a leg to get your house treated and even then apparently it didn't work the first time for either of us. Luckily our landlords footed the bill before but this time around we were not so fortunate. Last week I finally broke down and decided we would pay whatever these exterminators wanted JUST GET RID OF THESE DANG BED BUGS!!! JR attempted several bug companies and we finally decided on one called Premium. Well they were extremely rude and when the guy finally showed up after having missed our appointment a couple times in the past he stunk up our house with his B.O. and came prepared with an aerosol can and a bug bomb. Little did he know that we know way to much about bed bugs to be fooled by such simplified tactics. We gave him the boot. We called Orkin and decided that even though they were $300 for only 1-3 sprays we would do it anyways because they seemed to know what they were doing. The guy showed up the first time unprepared to spray. Stupid bug people. The second time he got it right and spent an hour and a half spraying every last inch of our apartment. We had to strip our walls of all our pictures frames so he could spray each on individually, move all our furniture away from our walls, put all our clothing and bedding into garbage bags and let them bake outside for a couple of days, and vacuum everything in our apartment before they would spray. I actually felt pretty bad for the guy once he came because they have to go through some pretty extreme torture to spray for these little nightmares. First of all the guy showed up on a day that was probably 107 degrees outside in the first place. Because they are attracted to heat he had to turn our heat all the way up and close all the doors and then spray this horrible deadly gas for an hour and a half. We had to stay out of our apartment while he was spraying plus 2 hours. When I got home I thought I was going to die. I opened up our front door and just about choked on the fumes. It was hot and sticky and just plain gross in there. I opened all the doors and windows and turned the air down to 72 in hopes that it would cool down quickly. The poor bug guy definitely had done his job because I could tell he ended up having to move a bunch of our stuff in that horrible heat. 6 hours later our house was still very hot and it wasn't until right before bed that JR realized that I had in fact turned the air to 72 but forgot to actually switch it from heater to cooler. Silly me. Needless to say we sweat pretty good that night. The moral of this story is never never never get bed bugs. Seriously, they are way worse than I can even describe and I'm not even going to post pictures of them on here because I don't want you to think we are gross. Just trust me on this one. If you ever do get them, heaven forbid, just dish out the money right away to get them out. We have the bug guys coming out again on Thursday to start the process all over again just to be certain and I think I may demand he come back a 3rd time too. No more messing around. If this doesn't work I'm burning all our belongings and starting fresh!

3 comments:

teamBoo said...

Sounds like when the wave of pink eye hits my house. I turn into a sanitizing fire monster. And people avoid us like the black plague.

Unless you are sprouting these bugs from spores on your body, i believe you that you're not dirty. That's apartment living though, right...good luck!

Terina said...

Holy cow what an aweful thing! Hopefully this works and they are gone for good!!!

Nikki and Edward Moure said...

What crappy little bugs! It completely changes the innocent adage of "Dont let the bedbugs bite!" Im sorry you had to go through all of that. I dont blame you for wanting a second or third spraying. Better safe than sorry.