Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Randoms

I'm really bored at work right now because I'm walking a student through a self explanatory application over the phone so there is a lot of down time. Over the years I have ended up with quite a library of pictures on my computer because I usually save them all in my documents folder. What I have decided to do is choose a random picture and write about it. My selection for today is in memory of Lil' Ricky and Fritz, my pet hamsters. Lil' Ricky passed away a few months ago from a HUGE tumor on his belly. Fritz was not far behind. Fritz we believe died of old age. I got the two dwarf hamsters from friends in my old ward who assured me that they were brothers. A couple months after I took them home I looked in their cage to find little baby hamsters. OOPS! Turns out Fritz and Lil' Ricky were actually brother and sister. Gross! So from that point on Fritz and Lil' Ricky had to be in separate cages to prevent future inbred babies. The babies were so cute but it was kind of hard to get rid of them. My sister took one, and a couple of co-workers took some but I ended up having to give 3 of them away to the pet store. I even had to call like 10 pet stored because apparently most stores don't just take donations like that.

Lil' Ricky developed her tumor shortly after the babies were gone but was a trooper and still ran like crazy in her wheel even when the tumor got really big. One day I came home and Lil' Ricky just wasn't the same peppy hamster she normally was so I figured she was finally to the suffering stage so JR was kind enough to take her to Petsmart to put her to sleep. I was very sad. JR was also kind enough to dig a grave for Fritz when he passed too. We literally drove out Pecos Road and found an empty construction site and he dug a whole in the ground with a hammer and a rock by an electrical pole. Thanks wonderful husband!

JR says he wants to get another hamster but I don't believe him. I think he just says that cause he thinks I want another hamster but I don't think I do want another one. Here's to you Fritz and Lil' Ricky!




No comments: