The big decision these days for JR and I is grad school. JR graduated in December with his bachelors in psychology and he wants to go on to do Sports Psychology. He found out recently that the masters probably won't cut it and will eventually end up in a PhD program. Years worth of fun! JR has tossed around a few schools over the past couple months and thought he was set on John F. Kennedy University in Pleasant Hills California in the Bay Area as I stated before. While California is an amazing state and I'm sure it would be a lot of fun to live there we are a little concerned about the cost of living. $1500 a month for an OK one bedroom apartment? Seriously? $3.90 for a gallon of gas? What is wrong with this state? So we are trying to weigh out the pros and cons of programs. There is a school here in Phoenix called Argosy that has his program but tuition is about twice as much as JFK. It would be nice to not have to move and not worry about finding new jobs and all but at the same time he likes the JFK program better and it's cheaper. What is a newly married college student supposed to do?
The nice thing is that there are University of Phoenix campus locations all over and a few of the the schools he has been looking at have had a UOP campus within 30 miles of it. We are hoping I can just transfer and have some financial stability at least. There is actually a campus in Fremont California that is pretty close to JFK that I have management connections with. Ideal right? I don't know. Transferring to the campus locations is a little hard because they are so small and there is a chance they may not have any openings during the time we need to move. If this is the case we are out of luck. Gosh, it's not easy to find the best program and make a decision that will effect the rest of your life. I think that regardless of the cost he should choose the best program that will allow him the most career opportunities. Easier said than done though I guess. The past couple of days have been spent exploring other schools. I'm not sure how I feel about moving. I think I have become set in my ways. On one hand I think it would be exciting and good to live somewhere else but at the same time, the unknown scares me a little. The main concern I guess would be getting a job. Other states he is looking at include Colorado, Florida, West Virginia, North Carolina, and so on and so forth. Who knows where we will be in a year.
If anyone knows of any great Sports Psychology programs let us know!
Tuesday, April 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



5 comments:
I say pick California! Brenden wants to go to Stanford for his MBA so we might be moving to Palo Alto next year anyway (about 20 minutes away from San Francisco). So it's not like you won't know anyone out there - you'll know ME!! And what's better than living close to an old roomie? :)
don't worry about the money. all you have to do is fill out the FAFSA and then they send you unlimited supplies of money!!! What can beat that? it is a dream come true. I don't work at all, and I have like all the money I need to live a glamorous life in Manhattan. you guys should try it.
Hmmm...I say just move. We are doing it too...I know that it's scary thinking about jobs and such, but atleast you have UoP connections...that's a lot more than we have!
Well... I haven't heard anything about that program specifically, but the University of Michigan are the "leaders and the best" (a fight song reference for those who don't know)in almost everything! Ann Arbor is a great place to live with lots of other LDS couples and young families here to earn PhDs. You should look into it... and not just because we are here (since we'll be gone after this year anyways...) Also, we can attest to moving forward with whatever decision you make, having faith that all will work out somehow even if you can't see how and you will be helped. We are both planners and so it's been really hard, but we are starting to learn that lesson. Just let go and keep moving forward and we are guided much more than we think. Good luck. We can so sympathize. It's a hard decision!!
Jenns...I am still soooo gonna push you to go to WV, and I'm not gonna let up. Just think Jenns...washington DC...etc...good ol' memories there for us. You really should go there. That's what I have to say.
Post a Comment