For the past 2 weeks I have been a substitute in my new ward for the Sunbeams. Wow. The first week it was ok because there are only 3 of them and the lesson was so easy to prepare for, especially in comparison to Gospel Doctrine lessons. The kids are cute and all but when I got a call this Saturday asking me to teach again I accepted but realized that I would not like to be a permanent primary teacher. I was convinced of that once I spent a half and hour talking to myself in our little class in between attempts to get the kids to stop touching each other and stop talking about nothing related to what we were learning about. Which happened to be keeping the sabbath day holy. I asked one of the little boys what a good Sunday activity was that Heavenly Father would be pleased with and he just kept saying "cool toys". I could be wrong but I don't think Heavenly Father really cares about cool toys. He would not be convinced of that and my attempts to get him to saying something else like "praying" or reading scriptures" was not successful. I don't think those kids got a single thing out of the lesson beside how to crawl around the room acting like cats and dinosaurs. As I tried to bring order to my class it was then that I realized that those called to primary are in reality outcasts. No one knows you exist in primary. After all was over I actually got a bit upset as I realized that because of my dislike for primary I am probably destined to remain there. For the first time I started missing my singles ward and how important I felt there. I want to feel a part of a ward again. Don't get me wrong, our ward is great. They have been very friendly and we have been really happy about it but I don't feel like I fit quite yet. That will come in time...if I don't get called to primary!

Ahhhh, if only it were really like that!
4 comments:
Mark my words, you and JR will be called to team teach or help in the nursery. For some reason wards love to do that to newlyweds. I was feeling the same way when we were called to primary in our last ward. I finally learned to focus on the friendships that I could make with the other primary teachers and the kids' parents so that I could feel connected. I also found that I didn't feel so bitter about not getting my usual spiritual nourishment from SS and RS if I took time to prepare the lessons and read all of the scriptures and everything. Since, as you put so well, we all know that the actual lesson itself doesn't always bring much of an uplift. :) Good luck dodging the inevitable primary bullet! :)
Oh Jens, if my mom heard you say that primary was for outcasts she would probably smear frosting all over your face. She loves it so much and is always sad when people think it is a stupid calling. It might be something you have to LEARN to love.
hmmmm, i'm honestly surprised that you don't get along better with the kids. I mean, hey, I've known you to pretend to be a lion in your front room and jump from behind couches singing the circle of life. maybe you're just realizing that you're actually right where you finally fit in---and you're in denial of it.
So I was reading the auction post and then saw this one! It just made me laugh. Brent and I were sunbeam teachers last year! Oh was it a love hate relationship! We are still in primary, they moved us up with our sunbeams in Jan. So we teach CTR 5 now. There are 12 kids on our roll, 3 dont speak much english! And most of the time I feel like we are teaching the wall! And outcast would be a great description! Ha HA but they are so cute and say the funniest things! It is fun!
Post a Comment