I had a blast this 4th of July. We headed up to Prescott where the weather for the weekend just happened to be perfect. It was actually rainy but only rainy to the point where it would rain just enough to cool it down and be a little overcast and then stop. My sisters Amy and Emily also came up with their families which made it a bit hectic at my moms house where we all stayed but basically non-stop fun. Kids really do liven things up don't they? I have to say that my mom is pretty amazing for putting up with a house full of crazies for so long. Not to mention she did a superb job of keeping the cupboards stalked for every one's enjoyment. What a gal! A lot of our time was spent sitting out in my moms yard and enjoying being able to go outside without getting our faces melted off.
Like I said, the kids provided most of the entertainment with hula hooping, dance recitals, Othello tournaments non-stop, constant requests to be pushed in the swing, and other kid like activities. Have I ever mentioned how cute my nieces and nephews are? Judge for yourself but I don't think you will be disappointed.



Not sure what was up with the little girls obsession with bugs but they found all sorts of bug including 5 snails that they made their pets for the weekend. Aren't little boys supposed to do that sort of thing?
On the 4th JR and I opted out of the kiddie parade although I'm kind of regretting that because apparently the kids got all sorts of candy. JK. They did spend a lot of time down on the courthouse square though and got fry bread which is a 4th of July tradition that I missed out on because we missed the parade. We did get to take part of our home made ice cream tradition while watching the fireworks. I even got to use the ice cream maker we got for our wedding! Don't get to use that much. We watched the fireworks at the Stake Center. I have to say that the fireworks this year were a little less than extraordinary. When the "finale" came along we were all "Huh?" Then a second finale came along so we got pretty excited but the second finale was not much better than the first. Step it up Prescott!
Things sure have changed since my childhood/high school days there. I think it all went wrong when the banned the water fights on the Prescott "strip". JR and I went downtown after the fireworks looking for the party but were disappointed there as well. The crowds were low in number. It worked out though because we were able to just go home and spend time sitting on the porch swing and talking. That was better than a big dance party anyways right?
Prescott did not however drop the ball on the famous Whiskey Row Boot Race. This year was especially exciting because my husband, brother, a niece, and 2 nephews entered the race in it for glory! One came away successful. My brother Chris had taken second last year for his age bracket but was back with a vengeance. There was no contest as he easily took 1st this year. Look at this demanding lead. The foot in the far right is his. He was too speedy to catch on camera.
JR did not place but he did good being closer to the front runners than the back. I think he had fun and that's all that matters, right?
Braden, Sadie and Drex did not place either but they for sure had fun just taking part in it. Apparently they are planning their strategies for next year. This is a hard core race and if you are not on top of your game you will be run down in the streets. I know Chris cut his boots down and used athletic tape to keep them firm to his foot. You have to think about these things when there is so much at stake.
The Champ with his very appropriate Budweiser trophy and super cool jacket. Don't worry, they didn't give the kids Budweiser trophies. Their trophies were much larger for some reason though.
Sunday was an experience for us as well. In fact, my brother in law blogged about our experience at church and did it so well that I'm just going to go ahead and copy his right in here. Thanks for saving me time Matt!
"Ok, funny stuff happened yesterday at Amy's parents ward in Prescott. Remember, it was Fast and Testimony Meeting.
1. So, with all the family staying at Dave and Georgia's house over the 4th, we took up 2 big rows in church. Drex was sitting next to Jenny and JR, and right in front of Amy and I. As the Sacrament hymn was beginning, Amy whispered to Drex asking if he wanted a hymn book. He got a way-excited look on his face, and enthusiastically said "Yes!" So, Jenny leaned over and gave him a hymn book. Then he got this confused look on his face, not sure what had just happened. He turned around and Amy asked him what was wrong. He asked, "What's this for?" Amy answered, "You said you wanted a hymn book." The clarity on his face was classic as he realized the miscommunication. "Oh, hymn book. I thought you asked if I wanted a hamburger!"
Yes, Drex, on this Fast Sunday morning, we grilled up some burgers and have them here in the purse for you. But hurry and eat up, because the Sacrament hymn is almost over. Oh, and do you want fries with that? Just wondering. And take this large Coke with you as well. Share some with Braden. Crazy.
2. During testimonies, a little kid got up. We found out later that he gets up every Fast Sunday and bears a thematic testimony on different topics. Yesterday's was on rain. He started, "some people like rain, some people don't. I like rain. Raise your hand if you like rain." (Everyone in the congregation raised their hand). "Ok, now raise your hand if you don't like rain." (no one raised their hand). "Ya, that's about what I thought it would be." He then went on to tell us why he likes rain, but that the last few days the rain has been "annoying" him since it would start to rain and then stop. Start and stop. Start and stop.
It was cute, but I don't think he heard the counsel from the First Presidency a few weeks back. No audience participation during Sacrament Meeting. The next thing we know, he will be using props for his testimony and asking the congregation to turn to the scriptures with him. Not cool. Someone needs to sit down with him and ask him if he really is going to follow the prophet. In fact, raise your hand if you're going to listen to the prophet from here on out, kid!
3. The weirdest part happened to finish testimonies. Drex, apparently hungry from no burgers earlier in the meeting, asked me how much longer til the meeting was over. I checked the time and told him 6 more minutes. At about the same time, a testimony ended and 4 more people stood up and walked to the stand. Admittedly, I groaned a bit inside, knowing that we were gonna go over, a pet peeve of mine.
The last 2 testimonies were this young married couple. She got up first and introduced herself and her husband who were visiting, but had come for the baby blessing that day. (Great, I thought, visitors making the time go over. Double pet peeve.) And then she literally spent 2 minutes (of overtime, mind you) telling us about the debate she and her husband had about "if I go up then you have go up, but if you don't want to go up, you have to go up anyway because I want to go up.....blah blah blah." And then for 5 more minutes she continued to go on about how fun the family reunion this week has been, how her husband is the best returned missionary ever, and that hopefully she has done a pretty good job being the big sister to 3 brothers, but that she still has time to do better if she wasn't. Thankfully, she finally sat down
We were WAY over time when the best returned missionary ever stood up. He expressed his love to his crazy wife, and then acknowledged the time was short by saying (and I'm not kidding)....."Since our time is up, I want to bear my testimony today by singing you a hymn. Now, I haven't been singing for very long, but I want to do this. And this isn't a normal hymn for right now, but it has a great message about Christ. But due to the time, I will only sing the first and last verses of (wait for it...) 'Silent Night'." At this point I almost dry-heaved and burst out laughing at the same time. Amy and I made eye contact. There was the most uncomfortable feeling in the chapel, like everyone was thinking "no way this is happening". But it was. And sure enough he sang the the first and the last verses of a Christmas hymn. In July. For his testimony.
To top the meeting off, we all stood (which I don't think we are supposed to do) to sing all 3 verses of The Star Spangled Banner, including the verses that nobody knows. I wanted to shout "Play Ball" at the end of all the verses. What a crazy 90 minute meeting that should have been way shorter than that. But after church we went home, opened presents, then went driving around looking at Christmas lights. Oh, and ate candy canes too."
Great times were had in Prescott...again!



6 comments:
Jens, well done blogging about our fabulous trip! I'm glad that Matt is more on top of things that me and at least wrote about our Sunday experience. His post is becoming pretty famous. Such funny stuff!! Great pics, Jens!
HAHAHA. Love the stories! We missed you in church. It was SO DEAD. If it werent for Derek and I's family taking up 5 rows, it would have been empty. The blessing went well, I'll put up pics later. See you Sunday!
ha ha that's hilarious! No wonder the missionaries were afraid to take me to my first fast and testimony meeting!! ha ha luckily I've always had good experiences...but man the 4th of July really does bring out some interesting people. 3 years ago Brenden and I were in Taylor for the 4th and this little boy got up and bore his testimony about our founding fathers and our country's independence and by the end of his testimony he was like quoting things from the declaration of independence, pounding the pulpit, and was balling his eyes out. Weirdest thing I've ever seen.
Sounds like a great weekend! Love the Prescott traditions! I loved the sunday story! Too great! In my singels ward one time we had a guy sing a song for his testimony. Only it wasn't even a hymn, just a song he wrote!! So I completly understand the uncomefortable feeling that was there! ha ha too great!
I don't think anyone would have noticed Drex eating a hamburger during all those captivating "testimonies". Church in Prescott is really the only reason we are ever motivated to go, right?
LOL! After I read this, I had to get my parent's story. They said the same thing, that it was definitely an interesting meeting. We were in DC so we missed it! DANGOT!! Next time, next time. :o)
Post a Comment