Monday, July 14, 2008

And the verdict is...

Primary is not as bad as I remembered it to be from when I substituted. At least not yesterday anyways. Either that or the Lord has really blessed me with a more positive outlook and a whole lot more patience. The kids were in a pretty cooperative mood and they seemed pretty in to my lesson on families.
There are 3 kids in my class, Andrew, Isabella, and Olivia. Olivia is the shy one although she was on a pretty good role yesterday. Andrew is the funny little boy who makes the crazy faces. And Isabella is the ring leader who gets everyone all riled up and answers all of the questions. For some reason Isabella had a plate of cookies when I walked into primary yesterday which she held on to nicely until we broke for class. At that point her and Andrew ran to our room while I waited for Olivia and by the time I got in the room the cookies were being devoured. That was a distraction as I tried to get the lesson started and by the time the cookies were gone we had to take a trip to the bathroom to clean up the chocolate faces and of course get a drink of water to wash it all down. After that we were back on track. The kids seemed to enjoy the pictures I brought in of my family and they really loved the game I made. In an attempt to teach about how families can be together forever and how Heavenly Father doesn't want anyone to be missing I had drawn pictures of different family member like Mom, Dad, little sister, baby, grandma, etc. So I set them all out on the ground and had them turn around. I then took one away and they had to find which one was missing. A big hit! Olivia lost interest after awhile and decided to draw on the chalk board instead but that was OK. Isabella didn't even want to leave the classroom at the end because she just wanted to play the game. I let her take it home. The only mishap was when Isabella punched Andrew in the face. He was a real trooper though. I think he has a bit of a crush on Isabella so of course he had to take it like a man. There is my report. So far so good!

5 comments:

Amy Ras said...

I hate it when I get punched in the face in primary! Jens, you are a fantabulous sunbeam teacher. Nice work! What is JR's calling?

Terina said...

I'm glad to hear it went well! You are so lucky you only have 3 kids!!! Brent and I have 12 on our roll!! And 8-10 show up every week! Oh and 3 of them don't speak english, and one is a little bit slow developmentally. So you've got it pretty easy! You will fall in love with them in no time!!

Sher said...

i loved teaching primary. I taught the CTR 6 class, i love 5 year olds they are so fun! what age are yours? i taught for almost 2 years and my class had 9-12 kids! UGH! I've been in nursery since January, but have now been called to be nursery chorister, i get to do singing time in each nursery, and still get to go to relief society, which i'm excited about, i have missed learning in classes. You'll grow attached to the kids. i love'm!

The Payne family said...

JR's calling is a ward missionary. He is very excited about it too. He really loves being a missionary. Also Terina, we went and bought the primary helper. Thanks for the advice!

Tara said...

Jenny - I bet you are the cutest Sunbeam teacher. There is never a dull moment in Primary - especially junior Primary. I had the CTR 5s until I had Lily. That was always an adventure ... eight months pregnant crawling under men's bathroom stalls to retrieve a five year old ... oh the memories :).